Multi Generational Safaris
The perfect way to reconnect with family
Connect through Adventure
Multi-generational travel (also known as multi-gen or 3G travel) has been on the rise for some time. More families are choosing to make the most of their time together while exploring some enchanting places. We couldn’t agree more with a safari being the perfect opportunity to meet up, slow down, and get into the wild where you connect in ways you never dreamed possible.
Does it sound complicated to meet everyone’s needs, from toddler to grandparent, in one trip? Just leave the hard stuff to us. We love building 3G trips for adventurous families packed with as much (or as little) as you wish to include. Keep in mind that not every person in your group has to do every single activity! We know all of the genuinely family-friendly camps and lodges which cater to small groups who want exclusive arrangements. Private guides, vehicles, butlers, and chefs are at your fingertips and varied activities can be included for family members of all ages. We aren’t sure if grandma will cannonball into the pool or little ones will be interested in bird watching, but stranger things have happened on safari!
Our point is that we can fine tune a journey to ensure that everyone has something to be excited about along the way. We lead you through the myriad of choices during the planning process once we have a sense of what your family is seeking from this trip. Then we match your family group with some of the finest properties we know, offering kids’ programs, child-minding services, malaria-free locations, and options for exclusive use villas or homes. Make all the hard choices before you depart so that you can relish in each moment together while traveling.
Read on to discover some of our top picks for family-friendly accommodations throughout the continent.
Several of our favorite family lodges
Life at Ol Malo House is all about experiences. From expert-led bush walks and game drives to horse and even camel rides, there’s something to delight every member in the family. The exclusive-use Ol Malo House provides the perfect space for large groups to mix and mingle, with all the mod cons you could want and need.
- Try an overnight sleep-out in the Leopard Hide or the Ol Malo Treehouse
- Learn to throw spears like a Samburu warrior with your guide
- For a view from above, embark on a scenic helicopter expedition
Perched at the base of the Loita Hills, Maji Moto is a simple yet comfortable little camp offering a first-hand experience of Maasai culture. Instead of just a typical day trip to a manyatta (homestead) set up purely for tourists, guests can stay here overnight for a more realistic perspective of everyday Masaai life.
- Track wildlife on foot with Maasai tribesmen
- Learn vital bush skills such as fire making and using plants and herbs as medicine
- Tuck into authentic East African cuisine with ingredients sourced from the camp’s farm
Namunyak Wildlife Conservancy, Kenya
The relaxing atmosphere of Reteti House is tough to pass up. Crafted from natural materials sourced from the area, this exclusive-use ecolodge may be off the grid, but there are no shortcuts regarding comfort. Each room comes with it’s own private deck and outdoor shower. But what families will love most is the central lounge area and infinity pool overlooking the waterhole.
- Get a front-row seat to feeding times at the Reteti Elephant Sanctuary nearby
- Dabble in daily sundowners and bush dinners beneath the stars
Embark on unrestricted day- and night-time game drives with your local Samburu guide
Tom’s Little Hide is part of The Hide Safari Lodge, but can be booked exclusively. Located in a private concession of Hwange, a booking here comes with your own guide and game vehicle, making for a private and flexible safari. This special safari house is tastefully decorated and comfortable enough for small groups (6 adults) or a family of up to ten (including 4 children).
- Explore the local ecosystem on family-friendly bush walks led by an experienced quide
- Learn about endangered African wild dogs at the Painted Dog center
- Bird watch and game view from each room in the house (there’s a waterhole just out front!)
Have your family stay in a place where one family put its roots down five generations ago. The Cottar family has lived amongst the wildebeest migration against a stunning backdrop of Olderkesi Hills since 1912. They share something truly special with their guests–the warmth of a historic homestead. This 10,000 sq. ft villa is elegant and eco-conscious comprising five en-suite bedrooms all with stunning views and sprawling living areas.
- Dedicated, discreet, private staff of eight
- Privately guided game drives, night drives, bush walks, swimming and fishing
- 25-meter swimming pool
Your haven nestled beneath the kopjes in the heart of one of Serengeti, Mkombe’s house was created with groups in mind. Three open-fronted bedrooms with verandahs plus an enclosed secure children’s room are complimented by the spacious shared areas, a swimming pool, and a gracious welcoming private staff. Your private chef and your private guide will create an experience tailored to your needs and schedule. Enjoy private game drives, walks, picnics and sundowners in one of the most diverse wildlife habitats in East Africa.
- Car seats, high-chairs, and babysitting services are provided
- Guests under 21 are priced at the reduced child rate
- Kid bites are lovingly created by the chef
Cheetah Plains represents the pinnacle of eco-luxe travel in one of the most renowned wildlife areas in the world, the Sabi Sands. Three exclusive villas embody sophistication and chic in the heart of the African bush. The houses are artistic and modern but designed to blend with the natural surroundings with earthy tones. The overall effect is superb relaxation and comfort. Each house features four suites complete with king-sized beds, dressing room, lounge area, double rain shower, bath, and private deck with outstanding vistas of the bushveld. A team of dedicated professionals staff each house and organize wildlife viewing activities during your stay.
- Activities for children and complimentary babysitting
- Private vehicles with Tesla electric engines, heated seats, and a DLSR camera with 500mm zoom lens
- Spa treatments and massage
These cozy private houses overlook the Ol Chorro waterhole and have lovely views of the surrounding bush. Each house features three bedrooms; at Mara House all are fully en-suite while at Acacia there is a double room en-suite and a children’s attic room which shares bathroom facilities with a double bedroom on the ground floor. Both houses have lounges with overstuffed furniture and fireplaces. Between the two homes lies a swimming pool and barbeque area. Exclusive use allows for flexible schedules and meals planned with your private guide, chef, and house manager.
- Cultural interactions with Masai
- Safe play spaces including a baby pool
- Visit a schoolroom where children can play or learn alongside students.
Tucked along the banks of the Chongwe River is a house like no other. Flowing curves, bends inspired by the meandering river, and natural wood furniture all allow Chongwe River House to blend into the natural environment seamlessly. The two-story home exudes tranquility and serenity at every turn. Each of the open-fronted bedrooms is individually designed and quirky. Guests marvel at the breathtaking vistas of the escarpment from the large verandah and the massive dining and sitting areas. Beneath the Winterthorn trees, elephants have been known to wander freely through the grounds.
- Privately guided game drives, boat trips, canoeing, walking, and fishing
- Open air baths and waterfall showers
- Child minders, child menus, and activities like making lion print cookies in the kitchen
Malilangwe Wildlife Reserve, Zimbabwe
A magnificent villa set along a sandstone ridge in the virtually untouched wilderness of the Pamushana concession, the depth of privacy and peace at Malilangwe House is incomparable. This expansive African home features five immense guest suites, each with its own private deck. An interactive kitchen, chic ‘bar-deli’, glorious infinity pool, and a comforting easy-going vibe make this the perfect place to restore your soul and immerse yourself in the natural environment. The private service of the chef, field guide, and butler is reflective of the highest standard offered by the Singita brand.
- Mini Rangers’ Course with specially crafted, fun-filled activities for young explorers
- Cooking lessons, board games, arts & crafts, activity booklets, and stargazing
- Indigenous wellness treatments, yoga, and massage
A modern spacious home enveloped in prime bushveld, Morokuru Farm House has incredibly beautiful panoramic views. The five comfortable en-suite bedrooms are linked to a central area by covered walkway and the bright stylish living spaces exude comfort. Dine al fresco on sumptuous meals prepared by your private chef in the lovely garden, boma or terraces. Your butler will escort you on a guided tour of the private wine cellar at Morkuru Owner’s house just ten minutes away. Your ranger and tracker will reveal the wildlife wonders of Madikwe on your drives and walks in the reserve.
- Heated outdoor swimming pool
- Fenced in lawns made for frolicking
- Nanny services, special child activities like fishing trips and tracking, interactive field guide packet
Warm, welcoming, and charming, Kifaru House is your retreat in the Lewa Conservancy. The five thatched cottages consist of bedrooms with four-poster beds, spacious en-suite bathrooms, and stone patios with panoramic views of the lush grounds and plains beyond. The main area invites guests to linger while overlooking a waterhole bustling with wildlife. Choose to absorb the calmness of the house or partake in the many activities offered.
- Infinity swimming pool
- Camel and horseback rides
- Children under 12 sharing with adults are complimentary